Friday, February 11, 2011

Fashion Eras

I recently found the pilot episode of Thirty Something on Netflix. I was delighted, as TS used to be one of my favorite shows. Twenty four years later and I still like the show, but find the themes bore me and apparently I have a decreased tolerance for yuppies. Yuppies aside, what bothered me more than anything were the clothes. In one scene Patricia Wettig had on a green sweater that appeared to have several small balls attached. Then there were the shoulder pads. What were women thinking in the 80's? Why did we think that it was a good thing to look like line backers?

My favorite television shows generally come from the 70's. There are only two shows from the 80's that I remember with great affection, the first being Thirty Something and the other was the Days and Nights of Molly Dodd with Blair Brown. However, I find the clothing from the 80's so visually distressing that I don't think that I can handle watching another episode of Thirty Something.

At least as far as the twentieth century goes, I think that the 80's was hands down the worst time for fashion, the 1930's and 40's were my favorites. What are your favorite and least favorite fashion eras?


4 comments:

  1. Fashion-wise, I like the 30s and 40s elegant styles. But I'm (still) partial to the boho chic first introduced in the 60s and 70s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember Molly Dodd. That was one of my favorite shows.

    I never wore the linebacker shoulder pads, even back then. But I did love the look of big sweaters over skinny pants. That is something that's sort of coming back (though the sweaters aren't as big) and I like it.

    I think my favorite era was the 1960's and 70's (the elegant parts, not the sloppy hippy garb). My favorite designer is Yves Saint Laurent and that was his prime time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember thinking that Thirty Something was so smart and edgy and urbane. I was young.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember cringing at photos from the 70's -the worst part of it is that those same fashions are back in the stores today...could 80's styles be too far off??? I know...i know...perish the thought! True be told - thirty something was my favorite - I wonder if it would still be today and stand the test of time now that I am on to forty something!

    ReplyDelete