Friday, December 17, 2010

Too Much Good?

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to believe in and tried really hard to convince myself of my inherent specialness. But what if there are other "special" people out there too? Would that take away from my specialness?

This morning as I was perusing the Internet and waiting for my daughter to get ready for school I happened upon several well written blogs by writers that have great depth and insight into themselves and the journey of life. My first thought was, "Oh no, I'm not the only one! Maybe I'm really not so special!" However once my sense of panic passed, I was able to think more rationally and less insecurely about the issue.

Many years ago when I did my brief stint in chiropractic school, there was a lot of talk about how the U.S. was flooded with chiropractors. There was a chiropractor on every street corner so it seemed. Some students feared that there would not be room for them in the field. The same thing was true when I was in graduate school for counseling, there was a great deal of talk about the inundation of counselors in the social services field. All of this worry about there being too many people doing the same thing makes some people worry that there won't be room for them, so maybe they should look elsewhere for a career or means of self-expression.

As I was sitting in a dark parking lot this morning waiting for carpool, I remembered the many wonderful teachers that I have had in my life. Many of them had the same message, some of them said it a little differently and others said it exactly the same. Even if the message was the same, the person presenting it was different than the one before. Two people may be interested in the same issue, however, they may need to learn from different people. We are all unique human beings, and we respond differently to different people.

Can there really be too much good in the world? Every beautiful word, piece of art, and loving act enriches our world. There can never be too much good.

3 comments:

  1. Every person is a microcosm of the entire creation. Each person presents to humanity specialness that is unique to that person and to no other. Each of us has inherited a wealth of dreams, philosophy, truths, wisdom and purpose. Our destiny is to transform those dreams, truths and wisdom into light and to shine that light for the entire world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice, thoughtful piece. I, too, have always been demotivated to find that there are others doing what I am doing. Blogging is a case in point. I'm an expat in Italy - there are hundreds of us out there, all hoping that their experiences rival Under the Tuscan Sun. I'm a mid-life mother. There must be thousands of us online blogging about it. And I own a Nikon that you can set to automatic, producing great pictures. That makes millions of us. I just try not to think about it and be happy that someone likes what I do - me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Davida!

    I love your site and your wonderful posts - I will definitely be following you! I look forward to reading more!!! :)

    Take care!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete