Thursday, January 13, 2011

Plot of the Ruinous Sun

This morning the sun is shining, there is snow on the ground, and it is nineteen degrees. When I see the sun I feel a little sad. I don't want it to melt the snow, I know that it is so cold outside that the snow is bound to stay for a few days. When the world comes to a standstill I somehow feel safer, happier. I feel connected to strangers, to everyone for that matter. We are all sharing the same experience at the same time. Once the sun comes out, people will begin to scatter, and resume their everyday lives. But I'm not ready for that yet. I want to stay in my "ideal" world. This morning I felt a twinge of sadness when I woke up. "Is it all going to be over soon? Has the sun set out on its cheery mission to destroy the world that I love?" But you know what? Every snowy night this week has been better than the one before. I can't remember what movie that we watched Monday evening, although I do remember that it did not make me happy. Tuesday night was Ira and Abby, which I had already seen but my husband had not, making it feel like the first time for me. Ira and Abby is a delight, so Tuesday night was better than Monday. Wednesday night we watched the original version of The Italian Job with Michael Caine. I did not love this movie, however, I absolutely adore being in England and Italy in the 1960's. So, Wednesday night has been the best night of all. This morning after silently raging at the sun and its plot to ruin my happiness, I told myself "Hey, if every night has gotten better, then today will be the best so far." This is how I must look at this situation in order to maintain my sanity. Tonight we simply must find a way to top Chris Messina, Jennifer Westfeldt, and Michael Caine, my happiness depends upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment